You Got a US Vessel, Now How Do You Stay in Compliance?

Did you just purchase your first US vessel? Or, have you gotten your first vessel in some time, and you aren’t sure about how to proceed in getting the right documentation? We designed the Maritime Documentation Center for vessel owners of all kinds. Whether this is your first vessel or your thousandth (or any number in between) we make it that much easier to get all of the documentation you need. 

You Started a Fishing Business

Using your vessel for commercial fishing is a great way to make money. Fishing is one of those industries that, while it may fluctuate, will always be necessary. To get into it, one thing you’ll need: a Fishery endorsement. You’ll want to click on that when you register your vessel with us. Remember, so long as you’re using your vessel to fish in the navigable waters of the United States or two hundred (or less) miles off of the US coast (the Exclusive Economic Zone or “EEZ”) then this endorsement is a necessity. 

You’re Going to Use Your Vessel for Paid Transportation 

Do you plan on using your vessel to transport people or goods? Maybe you’re going to give tours of a lake, or perhaps transport them from one side of a river to another. If you’re going to use your vessel for those purposes or anything remotely similar to them, then the right thing for you to do is to get a “Coastwise” endorsement. If you’re moving people or goods on the navigable waters of the United States or in the Exclusive Economic Zone (the same areas mentioned for “Fishery” in the prior paragraph) then “Coastwise” is the proper endorsement. 

You Haven’t Purchased a US Vessel Yet, but Have Narrowed Your Selection Down 

“This all sounds good,” you might say, “but I haven’t purchased my vessel yet.” We can help with that process, too. If you want to know the real truth about a vessel that’s registered in the United States, you’re going to want the “Abstract of Title.” This can let you know when the vessel was manufactured, who did it, and whether or not there are any outstanding mortgages or liens against the vessel. Should you have your eye on some foreign vessels, our “Foreign Vessel Title Search Request / Transcript of Registry” can provide you with similar information about vessels from other countries. 

All of the Documentation You’ll Need for Your Vessel and More 

There’s nothing like having your own vessel. You can use it however you would like: to make money, to have a good time, or both. That said, you want to have the proper documentation for it. After all, it’s hard to make money or have a good time if you’re worried you’re going to get caught by the Coast Guard. That’s where we can come in. So long as your vessel meets the minimum requirements, we can always keep you in compliance. For more: (800) 535-8570 or fill out our contact form.