Why you want US Coast Guard Vessel Registration

At the Maritime Documentation Services, we believe that many boats should have the proper kind of documentation. However, it’s important to note that we’re not trying to sell you on documentation. There are plenty of vessels that should have US Coast Guard vessel registration and plenty of vessels that shouldn’t. We’re not here to sell you on the idea of vessel documentation for your vessel. What we offer is an easier way to get that registration. It’s not for everyone, some vessels really shouldn’t have it. For the ones that should, we can make the process easier and simpler.

Who Needs US Coast Guard Vessel Registration

If your vessels weighs five or more net tons, and you’re using it to fish on the US’s navigable waters or what’s called the “Exclusive Economic Zone,” then you’re going to need this documentation. When we say “you’re going to need,” we don’t mean that hypothetically– it’s the law. Also, if your vessel of that size is used in coastwise trade (defined as the transportation of merchandise or passengers between points in America or the EEZ) then that registration will also be important. Towboats and dredges may also require this documentation, too. To be clear, those are the vessels that have to get this documentation. Others may choose to, but those vessels have to.

Who May Get their Vessel Documented?

Many people whose vessels don’t fit the above criteria still choose to get their vessels documented? Why? Well, for a variety of reasons. Namely, it can help quite a bit with getting a Preferred Ship’s Mortgage, a. k. a. a marine mortgage for your vessel. Still, to get this, your vessel has to weigh at least five net tons, even if you don’t use it in a fishing or commercial capacity. If you’re wondering whether or not your vessel measures five net tons (as this is something that’s rarely addressed on vessel forms and whatnot) ask yourself another question: does my vessel measure more than 25 feet in length? If so, then it almost assuredly weighs five net tons or more. Remember, “net tons” doesn’t just refer to weight; rather it’s a measurement of the vessel’s volume.

Easiest Place for Documentation

If you have a vessel that’s in need of documentation, or have simply realized that you want to get your vessel documented, then you’re in luck.  If you come to our site, you’ll find that we’ll be able to help all of your documentation needs. Whether you want to get your initial documentation, renew the documentation once you have it, change something on the documentation (such as hailing port, your address, or similar) or even delete and/or transfer the documentation, we’ve got you covered. We can do all of that, in just a few presses of a button. See it for yourself at our site or call (800) 535-8570.