What USCG Forms are Mandatory to Use My Boat?

If you own a boat, you are well aware of the plethora of USCG forms you must have on board to legally operate your vessel. Boating is a terrific way to experience a sense of independence—the possibility of spending time outside without ever having to leave your house. If you’re looking for a way to spend time with loved ones while on vacation, this is an excellent alternative.

According to icrc.org, regulators are required to maintain safety and avoid mishaps that might result in injuries or property damage. But what exactly is the paperwork that you need to have? Is there anything else I should be aware of? All boat owners must fill out USCG documents, and we’ll show you how to do so in this article. To make boat ownership more accessible and less stressful, it’s essential to know when to utilize various USCG forms. As a result, let’s get started!

Application for Certificate of Documentation

An Application for a Certificate of Documentation is a Necessary Form You Will Need When Buying a Used Pleasure Vessel or Buying and Using a New Vessel. The application for a certificate of documentation is an obligatory form for purchasing and using a new vessel. Both the buyer and the seller must fill out this form, and then it must be handed to the United States Coast Guard (USCG).

This information is necessary for the United States Coast Guard (USCG) to be able to register the vessel’s name on their national electronic search system. The Maritime Administration is the entity that is responsible for issuing the certificate, which functions as a legal document and details all of the information about your vessel. It is the official documentation of your ownership of the vessel and the commercial enterprise that you run from it. If you purchase or sell a documented vessel, the paperwork will be transmitted to the new owner upon completion of the transaction.

USCG Forms

Boat Registration/Title Application

Boat registration is one of the most commonly disregarded safety requirements for boating. There is no need to have a Coast Guard issued Certificate of Documentation (C.O.D.) to operate in navigable waters, but you must have one on board if you intend to do so. Within 15 days after purchasing a yacht, you must complete documentation and apply for a title.

Technically, you have 15 days to postmark your application for a boat title at the state office. However, sending it by certified mail with a return receipt request is not bad. Check with your state’s boating agency before continuing the electronic filing of boat titles and registrations; it may require an extra charge. However, to get a loan from a financial institution, a prospective buyer of your yacht will want evidence of ownership.

Maritime Liability Insurance Declaration 

All seafarers who have crew members on board their boats must complete a maritime liability insurance declaration. If the boat is less than 79 feet long and the whole crew comprises members of the owner’s family, no paperwork is required. Different USCG forms exist for non-family people who work on your vessel and a separate form for “leisure vessels” with less than 2200 HP of racing power.

Liability insurance protects you regardless of whether you use your boat for business or pleasure. If you have passengers on board, this is particularly true. You’re transporting visitors to and from the ocean; you’re in far more danger. The Maritime Liability Insurance Declaration form is often believed to be a requirement when renting a boat by the general public. The opposite is true, though. Ensuring rental boats are governed by state legislation differs from state to state.

Certificate Of Number as One of The USCG Forms

Every vessel above 9.8 meters in length that will be utilized for navigational purposes is required by the Coast Guard to have a Certificate of Number, also known as a C.O.N. A Certificate of Number is necessary for every vessel, regardless of whether it is a private boat, a charter boat, or a fishing vessel. The type most generally referred to as “the boat license” is the Certificate of Number. It is a proof of ownership document for your boat.

On it is a record of who the boat’s current owner is and the name of the boat’s original maker. This document provides your boat with a one-of-a-kind identity, defines the specs of your boat, and contains information about insurance coverage. Because you are required to keep this certificate on board your yacht in an easily seen area, you should make use of the complimentary mounting equipment that the company provides.

A boat owner’s biggest challenge is completing all the Coast Guard’s paperwork. There are many online resources to help you understand the differences between each USCG form. Nevertheless, if you want to save time, call a company like Contact Maritime Documentation Center at 800-535-8570. They can help you. They’ll be able to speed you along the way to USCG paperwork completion.