What Do I Need This Summer? United States Coast Guard Documentation

When you’re well-prepared with proper United States Coast Guard documentation, spending the summer on the water won’t be a source of stress for you. This year is no exception to the rule that the summertime is a busy season for the United States Coast Guard (USCG), as it is every year. Because there are now more boats on the water, you must have all the relevant papers to steer clear of any complications that may arise. If you own a boat registered with the U.S. Coast Guard, you must always carry your registration card and evidence of insurance. In addition, it is recommended that you carry the bill of sale or the title to your vessel at all times, just in case you are requested to provide it to the port authorities or the law. The following are the United States Coast Guard documentation you need to keep you safe and in compliance with the law this summer.

Proof Of Boat Insurance 

It is not unheard of for someone to spend the whole summer aboard their boat. Before you set out into the water, you should check to see that your boat is adequately insured, regardless of whether you fish for a living or simply for fun in your spare time. This is an essential precaution to take. After all, misfortune might strike at any moment, and it is essential to be ready for any contingency. Although acquiring boat insurance is not particularly difficult, the process might be perplexing if the policyholder is unsure of the coverages necessary or the associated costs. Because some states provide exemptions for vessels that are less than a specific size, the best thing to do is to start by doing some research into your local laws (and then contact your agent), as some states require businesses to buy commercial insurance even if they only have one or two boats in their fleet. In contrast, others offer exemptions for vessels less than a specific size.

An International Credential (Or FCC License If Using A VHF Radio)

The United States Coast Guard strongly suggests that anybody who plans to remain aboard a boat for an extended period—six days or longer—obtain an International Credential (or FCC license if using a VHF radio). This will be the Boating Safety Education Card/Certificate of Personal Flotation Device (PFD) Training for those of you who are citizens of the United States of America. If you’ve completed a course on operating a boat, you could already have one. A Reputation Acquired on a Global Scale (or FCC license if using a VHF radio). If you are going to use any communication equipment while you are out on the ocean, you are obliged by law to have this document, which serves as proof that you have received training as a captain or operator of a vessel. You will require this United States Coast Guard documentation if you want to steer a ship or operate any power-driven vessel with more than ten horsepower.

The United States Coast Guard Documentation Such as Safety Certificate

If you own a vessel that has been recorded, you are aware that you are required to have specific United States Coast Guard documentation on board, including a safety certificate. You will get a certification saying that your vessel has passed inspection as soon as it has been deemed safe by an officer from the United States Coast Guard (USCG). You may set sail with the peace of mind knowing people aboard your ship are not in danger thanks to this piece of paper. Because summer will soon be here, now is the time to check and see whether or not your safety certificate has been brought up to date; otherwise, there may be repercussions. Even if you’re going out for the day, if you get stopped by USCG officers, and they discover that your vessel hasn’t had its most recent safety inspection in a while, they have the authority to issue you hefty fines in addition to demanding that you take care of any problems as soon as possible. This is true even if you’re going out for the day.

United States Coast Guard Documentation

Your Vessel Registration Certificate 

Your vessel must demonstrate to the Coast Guard that it satisfies specific safety requirements, including those about its crew, construction, and equipment. Additionally, it must have correct markings and a Certificate of Number. It’s possible that the Coast Guard won’t let you bring your boat into U.S. waters if it doesn’t satisfy these rules, and there’s no way to get it there in a reasonable length of time. If you want to go to a foreign country, you will require this. It also provides details about the current owner, as well as any mortgages or liens that are attached to the property. It should be stored in an easily accessible location; either keep it with your vessel or carry it on your person at all times.

The U.S. Coast Guard does not publish any of its documents online. Instead, they direct you to the Maritime Documentation Center, a third-party service. They will answer your questions concerning the USCG credentialing process and how to apply. Maritime Documentation Center at (800) 535-8570 for additional information.