Texas USCG Vessel Documentation

USCG vessel documentation forms for Texas can be found below. These forms are valid in Texas as well as the other 49 states across America. Whether you’re in the Gulf of Mexico or just anywhere else on Texas waters and beyond, these are the forms that can keep you in compliance with the USCG. 

Registration is available for vessels that measure five net tons and are owned entirely by United States citizens. 

Registration is mandatory for vessels engaging in coastwise trade or fishing activities on navigable waters in Texas (or throughout the United States) or in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ), with certain exceptions. “Coastwise trade,” for the purposes of documentation, means “transporting, between points on America’s navigable waters and the EEZ, passengers and/or merchandise.” 

Vessel owners are encouraged to search below for forms that they might require throughout the course of vessel ownership. For further questions, email info@maritimedocumentation.us 

Initial Vessel Documentation 

Initial vessel documentation is available here for vessels that have not been previously registered. This form cannot be used for USCG vessel documentation renewal or any other purpose. 


Renew vessel documentation here. Boat registration renewal can be for one year, two years, three years, four years, and up to five years in total. Ship documentation cannot be renewed if it expired 30 days ago or longer. 


Reinstate vessel documentation that expired thirty days ago or longer. Please note: this boat documentation form cannot be used to renew vessel documentation or apply for initial vessel documentation. 

Replacement (COD) 

A Certificate of Documentation that has been lost or mutilated is not valid. As such, the vessel registration will not be valid. Obtain a replacement here. 

Deletion (COD) 

If a vessel is sold to a foreign citizen, is no longer usable, or has become lost, this form can delete a vessel from the Coast Guard Registry. 

USCG Abstract of Title 

Information on documented vessels can be obtained through this Abstract of Title form. Data often included: liens/mortgages against the vessel, their status, vessel build information, the chain of ownership, owner name/contact info, and more. 

Preferred Ship Mortgage Form 

Vessels that have a Certificate of Registration or an application on COD at the NVDC can have this mortgage registered against them. In the event of default, this mortgage is given status as a maritime lien and so enjoys a certain priority. 

Satisfaction of Mortgage Form 

Upon paying off any and all mortgages and/or liens against your vessel, complete this boat documentation form to update the USCG. 

Certified Copy (COD) 

A copy of your Certificate of Documentation can be obtained through this form. Vessel registration is not valid if your certificate has been lost or mutilated. 

Notice of Claim of Lien (NCL) 

File a Notice of Claim of Lien against a documented vessel with this form. Filing such a notice makes no guarantee in regard to the enforceability or validity of the claim. Private legal counsel can provide guidance on a lien’s validity, elements, and more. 

Foreign Vessel Title Search Request/Transcript of Registry 

For information on a documented vessel in countries such as Bermuda, the Bahamas, the Cayman Islands, the British Virgin Islands, the United Kingdom, and Canada, complete this form. 

MARAD Small Vessel Waiver 

Conduct limited commercial passenger operations in America with a foreign-built vessel by obtaining a MARAD waiver. If successful, this will waive the American-built requirement for foreign-built vessels that are three years or older and wholly owned by American citizens to operate as commercial passenger vessels. 

Note: when in service, these vessels cannot carry more than twelve passengers at a time. 

Change of Vessel Name or Hailing Port 

Changing the name of a boat or its hailing port on a Certificate of Documentation can be achieved through the completion of this form. Vessel names must be composed of Latin alphabet letters or Arabic and Roman numerals. They cannot exceed 33 characters, nor can they be identical, whether actually or phonetically, to obscene words or those used to solicit on-the-water assistance. 

Change of Address 

If you have moved to a new address, one that is different from what is currently on your Certificate of Documentation, complete this Coast Guard vessel documentation change of address form. 

Transfer/Exchange of Boat Documentation 

Should there be a change in the vessel’s ownership, this form makes a change/transfer possible. Through completion of this form, you can transfer the vessel to a new individual/company/trust/etc., sell the vessel to someone else, remove a spouse or add one, or even change the managing owner’s name. 

Change of Endorsement/Trade Indicator 

If you wish to use your vessel for a different purpose than the endorsement/trade indicator that is on your Certificate of Registration, use this form. “Recreation” is a very common endorsement, as are “Coastwise,” “Fishery,” and “Registry.” 

Vessel Documentation Search 

A thorough boat documentation search of the USCG database can be conducted here. Through this search, you can learn more about certain documented vessels. 

Document Upload 

For any USCG documentation forms that require uploading documents, click here. Common examples include a will, a previous Certificate of Documentation, a Bill of Sale, etc. 

USCG Vessel Documentation for Texas and Beyond 

These forms are appropriate for vessels in the state of Texas as well as any other state in the country. As this vessel documentation is federal, vessel owners anywhere can avail themselves of these forms. To make the process easier for our users, our site has been optimized for mobile devices. As such, these forms can be filled out from anywhere and on essentially any kind of device. 

Those wishing to expedite the process further are encouraged to opt for rush processing. This will place their documentation at the top of our queue. Safe travels on the water.