Requirements for a Vessel Documentation Search

Did you know that you may search for USCG records by either the bridge number, the name of the vessel, or the VIN? It’s accurate! You will be able to discover information such as whether or not your boat has been examined, whether or not it complies with safety requirements, and much more. You only need to have access to the appropriate information. This article will demonstrate how to search for USCG papers using either the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), a name, or a bridge number. As a boat owner in the United States, it is essential for you to be aware of the paperwork your boat needs to have to operate legally. You may need to look for USCG documentation using a VIN, a name, or a bridge number at some point. The following are the conditions that need to be fulfilled for it to happen:

Your Boat Must Be Registered in the United States

Your boat is required to have a valid registration in the United States. Your boat has to be registered in the nation it is legally sailing under; if it isn’t, you won’t be allowed to go further with this procedure. This is true regardless of where it’s sailing from or where it’s headed. Even if your vessel is registered in another country and just travels through U.S. waters for a short period, it is still required to comply with these regulations. If your boat is used predominantly in a nation outside of the country it is registered, the paperwork for it might be canceled or suspended. If you plan on carrying this out, you should contact the Coast Guard as soon as possible.

You Must Have a Valid Certificate of Documentation to Do a Vessel Documentation Search

A boat’s certificate of documentation (COD) is among the essential papers that it carries. It identifies the boat and its owner, attests that the vessel is seaworthy, and grants permission for the boat to be operated on international seas. The United States Coast Guard mandates that you include a copy of your current Certificate of Documentation (COD) and your renewal application if you are renewing your vessel documentation (COD). Other methods are available to demonstrate ownership if you have lost your certificate of delivery and cannot get a replacement in time. One piece of evidence that may be accepted is a title you hold in your name for the vessel in question. The same rule applies if you assist someone else with their renewal applications or other paperwork and they do not have their certificate of documentation (COD). That person must provide evidence that they are the vessel’s owner.

The Vessel Must Be Subject to Examination by The Coast Guard

You could wonder what to do with a decommissioned or new ship. Thankfully, decommissioned boats may be relocated from one area to another inside the United States as long as certain criteria are met, as set out by the United States Coast Guard. The Coast Guard must conduct inspections of the ship, so keep that in mind. This necessitates that the boat is legally recognized or less than 165 feet in length if it is considered an illegal boat. Since the Coast Guard conducts frequent inspections of decommissioned boats as part of its hull and equipment condition assessment program, a vessel that has been decommissioned cannot slip through the gaps and pose a danger to navigation if it is left abandoned where it was found. There are a few rare cases when a vessel of a different length or without a certain attribute might be acceptable. To the same extent, vessels that are not designed to be operated on navigable waters may likewise be excluded.

You Must Have Written Authorization From The Vessel’s Owner Or Authorized Representative.

You are required to acquire written authorization from the owner of the vessel or an authorized representative of the owner. You are required to write down your contact information on the letter, and whoever is handing it to you must sign it before you can take possession of it. In order to establish the identity of the vessel’s owner, documentation could be necessary. The types of vessels that may be renewed each have their own unique sets of required documentation. 

For instance, if a vessel is registered in the name of another person, you will need to provide evidence that you are the owner of the vessel, as well as a document that has been notarized and signed by the registered owner, permitting you to submit this request on their behalf. Suppose you are unable to receive paperwork from the vessel’s present owner. In that case, you should get in touch with the local tax collector’s office in the area where the vessel is registered and inquire about the possibility of further evidence being necessary.

Vessel Documentation Search

The Search Must Be For Official Coast Guard Purposes Only

You may learn more about a vessel or check on the progress of an application with the help of the Vessel Documentation Search. Suppose you need to use the Vessel Documentation Search on behalf of the USCG. In that case, you must verify that you are not a vessel owner or operator undertaking official business. This is because searching for this without being a member of U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 23 may be illegal in certain jurisdictions. 

You have the right to perform a search for your purposes, but if you are utilizing this in connection with your official obligations, you must make it clear that you are conducting this search on the company’s time. Someone may be trying to keep anything from you; they may have skipped out on paying their ship’s taxes or other expenses, and they don’t want you to find out about it. Disclosing these facts up front will eliminate any doubt about your good faith.

The Vessel Documentation Center is the one-stop shop for all your vessel documentation search needs. We’re here to help you through every step of the process, and we’re here to answer any questions you might have. If you need help with your documentation, feel free to contact us at any time at 800-535-8570.