Michigan USCG Vessel Documentation Forms

USCG vessel documentation forms for vessels in the state of Michigan can be found below. Each of these boat documentation forms are valid in every other state as well. Those who wish to fill out these forms can do so anywhere throughout the United States.  

There are forms here for every stage of vessel ownership. From researching vessels for the purposes of a potential purchase, registering a vessel for the first time, renewing that registration and more, these are forms that can be utilized essentially through the entire course of vessel ownership. 

To be eligible for vessel registration, a vessel must be wholly owned by a citizen of the United States. Additionally, it must measure at least five net tons. 

Some eligible vessels have to be registered. These vessels include those that are to be used for fishing activities or coastwise trade on the navigable waters of Michigan as well as the rest of the United States or in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). Vessel owners should be aware that, in certain circumstances, there are exceptions to that rule. For further information, email info@maritimedocumentation.us 


Vessel documentation is valid for one year. Apply for boat registration renewal with this form. Vessel owners can choose to renew their vessel documentation for up to five years at once. It is not possible to renew vessel documentation that expired 30 days ago or longer. In that circumstance, reinstatement is the only option. 

Change of Address

Change the vessel address, the address associated with the owner on file with the USCG, on a Certificate of Registration, through the completion of this form. 


An Abstract of Title can contain information about a documented vessel. This information can include the name of the owner, their contact information, the vessel’s chain of ownership, if there are liens/mortgages against the vessel as well as if there were liens/mortgages against the vessel, and more. 


To register a vessel for the very first time, complete this initial vessel documentation form. Do not use this form to attempt to renew vessel documentation, reinstate it, obtain a copy of a Certificate of Registration, or any other action. 


For a successful Coast Guard vessel documentation transfer, complete this form. This is the form to change the name of the managing owner, to remove or add a spouse, to sell the vessel, or to transfer a vessel to a new trust, individual, company, and so forth. 


If ship documentation is 30 or more days past its expiration date, it cannot be renewed. In such circumstances, utilize this form to apply for reinstatement. 

Certified Copy (COD) 

Apply for a certified copy of boat documentation through the completion of this form. Vessel registration is not valid if the Certificate of Registration has been mutilated or lost. 

Replacement (COD) 

A national vessel documentation certificate replacement can be obtained through the completion of this form. If you lost your Certificate of Registration or if it was mutilated, then your registration is not valid until you have a replacement. 

Deletion (COD) 

When to complete a certificate of deletion: vessel has been lost, is no longer serviceable, or has been sold to a foreign citizen. Completing this form will delete your vessel from the USCG boat registry. 

Change of Vessel Name or Hailing Port

Complete this form when you have moved your vessel to a new hailing port and want to change your vessel’s name. Names can only be as long as 33 characters maximum and they can only consist of Latin alphabet letters as well as Arabic/Roman numerals. Additionally, names cannot be the same as any obscene words or those that are used to solicit assistance from others when on the water. 

Change of Endorsement/Trade Indicator 

Complete this boat documentation form to change the endorsement on your vessel’s Certificate of Registration. If you decide to use your vessel in a new way, one that differs from the endorsement currently on your vessel documentation, update it with this form. “Recreation” is a popular endorsement, as our “Registry,” “Fishery,” and “Coastwise.” 

Preferred Ship Mortgage 

Apply for a First Preferred Ship Mortgage through the completion of this form. Should there be a default, in keeping with the name, this mortgage (due to its maritime status) enjoys a certain priority. Only apply for this mortgage if your vessel has a Certificate of Registration or if there is one COD with the NVDC. 

Satisfaction/Release of Mortgage/Lien 

Complete this USCG satisfaction of mortgage form when you have successfully paid off a lien and/or mortgage on your vessel. 

Notice of Claim of Lien (NCL)

Apply for a Notice of Claim of Lien against a documented vessel by completing this form. The guidance of private legal counsel is recommended before completing this form, as doing so makes no claim as to the enforceability or validity of your claim. 

MARAD Small Vessel Waiver 

If you have a vessel that was built in a foreign country that you wish to use for limited passenger operations in the United States, apply for a MARAD waiver here. Doing so can waive the requirement for vessels that engage in passenger operations in the United States be built in the United States. 

To qualify, a vessel must be owned wholly by an American citizen, be three years old at least, and can only be used to carry up to twelve passengers at once. 

Foreign Vessel Title Search Request/Transcript of Registry 

To obtain more vessel information about vessels that are in Bermuda, the Bahamas, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, the United Kingdom, and Canada, complete this vessel documentation form. 

Document Upload 

For some documentation forms, US Coast Guard requirements include uploading documents. Some examples: a prior Certificate of Registration, someone’s will, a bill of sale, and similar documentation. 

Documented Vessel Search

Perform a US Coast Guard vessel documentation search here to learn more about particular vessels. 

USCG Vessel Documentation Forms for Michigan and Beyond 

All of the above forms are valid for vessels that travel on Michigan waters or anywhere else in the United States. To make the process even easier on our users, we’ve optimized our site for mobile devices. That way, these forms are not only valid anywhere in America, but they can also be completed anywhere in America, too. 

Rush processing is available so as to expedite the vessel documentation process even more. Safe travels on the water.