How to Obtain the Transfer of Ownership CG 1258?

Is it your first time to own a boat? Well, there are various things you must know about your boat and how to maintain it. But that’s not all you need to know. You also have to obtain a transfer of ownership CG 1258 form so that the ownership of the boat you have purchased will be transferred to you. 

Why Do You Need the CG-1258

It is also known as the Transfer of Vessel ownership form. It is required if there is a change in ownership of a documented vessel. If you do not obtain it, then you are not yet the legal owner of the vessel. This form is legal documentation that facilitates the transfer of ownership from the seller to you. It saves as evidence of the change in ownership and ensures that you are recognized as the rightful owner of the documented boat. 

How to Obtain this Form? 

This form can be obtained by following these steps: 

  • Click the Transfer/Exchange link found on the left side of this page. From there, you can fill out the form. 
  • Provide the required information. The details will include the boat’s official number, name, hailing port, current owner’s information, new owner’s information, date of transfer, etc. 
  • Fill out the form accurately and complete it. Make sure that the required files are filled. It. Provide any additional information as requested on the form. 
  • Submit the form. Once the form is completed and signed, submit it to us. Our specialists will first review your document. To ensure the accuracy of your submitted data, we may contact you. 
  • Pay applicable fees. There are fees associated with the transfer of ownership process. You will know more about it after you have submitted the form. 
  • Await confirmation. After you have submitted the form and paid the fees, you would have to wait for confirmation. This confirmation comes in the form of an updated certificate of documentation reflecting the new owner’s information. 

The Purpose of this Form

As mentioned, the purpose of this form is for you to be recognized as the owner of the boat. You will also need it to comply with Coast Guard regulations. Keep in mind that the US Coast Guard requires documented vessels to maintain accurate ownership records. By submitting this form, you comply with the regulations and fulfill the documentation requirements for transferring ownership. 

Update the Certificate of Documentation 

The form initiates the process of updating the Certificate of Documentation for the vessel. Once the form is processed and approved by the USCG, a new certificate is issued in the name of the new owner — you. It reflects the change in ownership. 

CG 1258

Protection of Rights and Interests

The form ensures the protection of the rights and interests of both the buyer and the seller. It establishes a clear transfer of ownership which can be helpful in resolving any disruptions that may arise in the future. 

If you need further help in obtaining or filling in the CG-1258, please give us a call and our specialists will guide you throughout the process.