Florida Boat Documentation

These are the forms to apply for boat documentation in the state of Florida. Additionally, these forms are valid for the rest of the United States as well. No matter where you are in Florida or America, you can apply for the vessel documentation that you may need. 

Users have utilized these forms to register their vessels, research vessels, renew their registration, and more. If a vessel is wholly owned by an American citizen and measures five net tons or more, then it is eligible for documentation. 

Vessels that meet that standard and are going to be used in coastwise trade or fishing activities on Floridian navigable waters (or elsewhere in the United States) or the EEZ (Exclusive Economic Zone) are required to be registered. For the purposes of documentation, “coastwise trade” means “transporting, between points in America or the EEZ, merchandise or passengers.” Particular exceptions do apply. For further questions not answered by these forms, users are encouraged to email info@maritimedocumentation.us 

First-Time Vessel Documentation 

Vessels that have never been registered in Florida or anywhere else throughout the United States can be documented with this form. Please do not attempt to renew your vessel documentation with this form, to reinstate an expired registration, or anything else. 

Replacement (COD) 

Lost Certificates of Registration are not valid, nor is a Certificate of Registration that has been mutilated. Replace a USCG Certificate of Documentation by completing this form. 


With this form, it is possible to renew boat registration in Florida or anywhere else. Vessel documentation can be renewed for up to five years at one time. Any boat registration that has expired for 30 or more days cannot be renewed, rather, to maintain validity, it has to be reinstated. 


Vessel documentation that has expired thirty or more days ago cannot be renewed. Vessel owners who wish to maintain their vessel registration can do so through this form. 

Deletion (COD) 

Deleting your vessel from the Coast Guard Registry is possible with this form. Vessel owners do so when their vessel is no longer usable, when they have sold it to a foreign citizen, or when the vessel has been lost. 

Certified Copy (COD) 

Obtaining a USCG Certified Copy of a Certificate of Documentation is possible through this form. To expedite the process, opt for rush processing/priority request.  

Transfer/Exchange of USCG Documentation 

Make changes/transfer in a vessel’s ownership with this form. Sell the vessel, add/remove a spouse, change the managing owner’s name, transfer the vessel to a new company/individual/trust/etc., through the completion of this form. 

Change of Endorsement/Trade Indicator 

When a vessel is registered, vessel owners select a trade indicator/endorsement. These include “Recreation,” “Registry,” “Coastwise,” and “Fishery.” Utilize this form to change your vessel’s trade indicator/endorsement on your Certificate of Registration. 

Change of Address 

When your address changes from what is currently on your registration, use this form. 

Abstract of Title 

An Abstract of Title can be utilized to research documented vessels. This information can include when exactly the vessel was built, everyone who owned the vessel, if there are any liens or mortgages against the vessel, if they’re outstanding or satisfied, and much more. 

Foreign Vessel Title Search Request/Transcript of Registry 

If a vessel is in the Cayman Islands, the Bahamas, Bermuda, the United Kingdom, the British Virgin Islands, or Canada, this vessel documentation form can provide information. 

MARAD Small Vessel Waiver 

To gain a waiver of the American-built requirement to conduct limited commercial passenger operations in the United States for a foreign-built vessel, complete this form. 

To receive this waiver, a vessel can only be used to carry passengers, it must be at least three years old, and it has to be wholly owned by an American citizen. Additionally: it cannot carry more than twelve passengers while in operation. 

Notice of Claim of Lien (NCL) 

Record a claim of lien against a Coast Guard documented vessel by completing this form. Remember: simply filing an NCL does not mean that it’s enforceable or valid. For further guidance about filing a Notice of Claim of Lien, contact private legal counsel. 

Preferred Ship Mortgage 

If your vessel is registered, apply for a mortgage against it with this form. In the event of default, this kind of mortgage is given status as a maritime lien, and as such is given a certain priority. This mortgage cannot be recorded against a vessel that does not have an application on COD at the NVDC or lacks a Certificate of Registration. 

Release/Satisfaction of Mortgage/Lien

Apply for a release/satisfaction from mortgages/liens with this form. Upon paying off mortgages/liens, users complete this form to inform the authorities. 

Change of Vessel Name or Hailing Port 

Changing a vessel’s hailing port as well as its name is possible with this form. A name can only be composed of Latin alphabet letters in addition to Arabic or Roman numerals and the name cannot exceed 33 characters. Whether actually or phonetically, the name cannot be identical to any obscene words or those which are used to solicit assistance when on the water. 

Vessel Documentation Search 

Conduct a USCG vessel search here. A vessel documentation search through this portal can provide useful information about documented vessels. 

Document Upload 

If necessary, utilize this page to upload vessel documentation. Forms uploaded here can include a previous Certificate of Documentation, a last will, bills of sale, and so forth. 

A Better Florida Boat Documentation Process 

The above boat documentation forms are valid for Florida as well as all throughout the United States. To receive forms that much faster, users are encouraged to opt for rush processing/priority request. As this site is optimized for mobile devices, users can complete these forms on their phones, tablet, laptop, and so forth. Safe travels wherever the waters may take you.