Does a Documented Vessel Have to Be Registered in Kansas?

Yes, they do. A Coast Guard documented vessel must be registered in the state of Kansas.

According to the Kansas Department of Wildlife & Parks: “All vessels powered by motor (gasoline, diesel, or electric), or sail, must be registered and numbered. The State of Kansas does not, however, title watercraft nor does it register or title motors.”

Does my boat need to be USCG documented?

Some vessels have to be documented and others can be documented. Vessels that measure five net tons or more and are wholly owned by citizens of the United States can be documented. Vessels that are to be used for commercial fishing activities on the navigable waters of the United States or in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) must be documented. USCG documentation is the process of registering a vessel with the United States Coast Guard (USCG). Through this process, vessels receive an official Certificate of Documentation, which provides evidence that they meet USCG safety and security standard

Does a documented vessel need to be registered in every state?

If a vessel has been USCG documented, it does not need to be registered with any state. Documentation is accepted by all states as evidence of ownership, which negates the need for registration. However, if there are changes in ownership or the vessel is used in interstate commerce, registration may still be necessary to comply with certain laws and regulations.