Where can I get forms for documentation?

United States Coast Guard vessel documentation forms are available online at this website. Upon completion, all forms automatically forward to Documentation Processors for review. 

Must I submit my application by mail?

No, you do not have to submit any vessel documentation by mail.

Completing boat documentation online can expedite the process, as it is not subject to potential delays (as mail submission may). 

Is the vessel tender documented?

Vessel documentation does not cover a vessel’s tender or dinghy. 

As those measure less than five net tons, they are not eligible for vessel documentation. 

How long is the certificate of documentation valid?

Provided there are no changes other than the owner’s address, a Certificate of Documentation is valid for one year from the date of issue. 

Previously, any Certificate of Documentation had to be renewed annually. 

How do I notify you of my change of address?

Vessel owners can submit a Change of Address form through our site. The form can be found here.

Additionally, vessel owners can update their Change of Address when renewing their Certificate of Documentation. The new address can be updated in the renewal application. That application can be found here. Per Cornell Law, “whenever the managing owner changes, the managing owner shall notify (the authorities) within 10 days.”