May I receive faxed copies of completed products prior to mailing?


Requests for faxing of Certificates of Documentation, Letters of Deletion, Certificates of Ownership and recorded instruments such as Preferred Mortgages, Bills of Sale, Notices of Claim of Lien, and Satisfactions of Mortgage in combination to mailing will require an additional Certified Copy fee of $34.00 for each item.

Are there different types of documentation?

Yes. A Certificate of Documentation may be endorsed for fishery, coastwise, registry, or recreation. Any documented vessel may be used for recreational purposes, regardless of its endorsement, but a vessel documented with a recreational endorsement only may not be used for any other purpose. Registry endorsements are generally used for foreign trade.

How to Get a Boat Hull Identification Number

Typically, a boat Hull Identification Number is issued by the vessel’s manufacturer or importer. However, if your vessel is home-built, then they can be issued by your respective State Registrars/DMVs.

What is Net Tonnage Exactly?

Coast Guard documentation requirements for eligibility state that a vessel has to measure at least five net tons. This “net tonnage” is not a measurement of weight. Rather, it’s a measurement of volume.

Do I Need a Fishery Endorsement?

USCG documented vessels require a fishery endorsement to land its catch, wherever it is caught, in the United States. This is the endorsement to engage in fishing activities on the navigable waters of the United States or in the EEZ (Exclusive Economic Zone).

How Do I Find My Hailing Port?

Your hailing port is where your vessel claims origin. You can choose your hailing port to be anywhere you would like, provided it is a place in the United States. Specifically, so long as it is in the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Federal Information Processing Standards Publication 55DC, you can select a designated location or place as your hailing port. Coastal, landlocked, you can choose anywhere you would like.

Your hailing port does not have to be the vessel’s physical location nor where it resides the most. In fact, it does not have to be anywhere the vessel is registered, either.

Does My Boat Name Have to Be Registered?

Should you have documented your vessel with the USCG, then both the name as well as the hailing port are registered. Specifically, they’re registered on your CG-1270 Certificate of Documentation.

Vessels registered with a state (as opposed to the USCG) do not require listing a vessel’s name on the registration documentation.

To document your vessel with the Coast Guard, complete this form.