I Lost my Certificate of Documentation. What do I do now?

If the owner of a vessel with United States Coast Guard (USCG) documentation loses their Certificate of Documentation, they will need to apply for a duplicate from the National Vessel Documentation Center. This can be done either electronically or via regular mail.

The application form must be completed and signed by the owner or authorized representative, as well as notarized if it is being sent through regular mail. Applicants should include proof of ownership, such as a bill of sale, state registration certificate, or other valid evidence that ties them to the vessel in question. The required fee also needs to be included to complete the application process.

When submitting an application for a duplicate USCG Certificate of Documentation, it is important that owners accurately fill out the form and provide all required documents to avoid delays. After these materials are received, the National Vessel Documentation Center will review them for accuracy and process the application. Once approved, a new certificate of documentation will be issued and the owner can begin using their vessel with USCG documentation again.

It is important for owners to remember that lost or stolen certificates of documentation must be reported immediately in order to protect their rights as an owner under U.S. law. Without proof of ownership, an owner may not be able to retrieve their vessel if it is taken or otherwise wrongfully claimed by another party. Thus, submitting an application for a duplicate certificate should be done as soon as possible after the discovery of its loss or theft.

Click on this link for a Certified Copy of a Certificate of Documentation.
Click on this one for a Replacement Certificate.

Section 67.169 covers what to do if your certificate is lost or mutilated.