How do I obtain title information for a documented vessel?

You can do so by obtaining an Abstract of Title.


While some may differ, mostly, this document includes the vessel’s name, its Hull Identification Number (HIN), Coast Guard Official Number, as well as for whom the vessel was built in addition to where and when this occurred.


Should the vessel have remained documented ever since it was built, the abstract can show a complete chain of ownership.


This Coast Guard Abstract of Title will show bills of sale, mortgages, and notices of claims of lien filed and recorded by the Coast Guard. This document may show if any liens and mortgages have been satisfied or are outstanding.

For additional information, email