How Do I Change My Recreational Endorsement So I Can Operate it As a Fishing Charter?

Should you wish to use your USCG documented vessel, currently with a “Recreational” endorsement, as a fishing charter vessel, you have to change the vessel’s endorsement/trade indicator. You can do so at this link for updating your boat documentation.

Choose the appropriate commercial endorsement for how you wish to use your vessel. For example, if you wish to engage in commercial fishing activities on the navigable waters of the United States or the Exclusive Economic Zone, select the “Fishery” endorsement.

If you’re going to transport people and/or merchandise (such as operating a “6-pack charter vessel,”) then select the “Coastwise” endorsement.

If you wish to engage in foreign/international trade, choose the “Registry” endorsement.

If you have further questions, you can email us at