How can I renew USCG documentation if it’s expired?

If your documented vessel’s documentation has expired for more than 30 days, then your vessel’s documentation cannot be renewed. Instead, it must be reinstated. You can find the form to reinstate your vessel documentation here.


What is Needed to Reinstate Vessel?


Fill out the form to Reinstate Your Vessel.

§ 315.401 Reinstatement.

(a) Agency authority. Subject to part 335 of this chapter and paragraph (b) of this section, an agency may appoint by reinstatement to a competitive service position a person who previously was employed under career or career-conditional appointment (or equivalent).

(b) Time limit. There is no time limit on the reinstatement eligibility of a preference eligible or a person who completed the service requirement for career tenure. Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, an agency may reinstate a nonpreference eligible who has not completed the service requirement for career tenure only within 3 years following the date of separation. This time limit begins to run from the date of separation from the last position in which the person served under a career appointment, career-conditioned appointment, indefinite appointment in lieu of reinstatement, or an appointment under which he or she acquired competitive status.

(c) Extension of time limit. Intervening service of the following types extends the 3-year limit on reinstatement of eligibility of a nonpreference eligible who has not completed the service requirement for career tenure:

(1) Employment in Federal competitive service positions under temporary, term, indefinite, or other nonpermanent appointment.

(2) Employment in Federal excepted, nonappropriated fund, or Senior Executive Service positions in the executive branch;

(3) Employment in the Federal judicial branch or in the executive or judicial branches of the insular possessions of the United States;

(4) Employment in Federal legislative branch;

(5) Employment in an international governmental organization or a territorial, State, county, municipal, or foreign government in a position in which the agency determines that the proposed appointee acquired valuable training and experience for the position to be filled;

(6) A substantially full-time training course in any educational institution of recognized standing when the agency finds that the proposed appointee acquired valuable training or experience for the position to be filled;

(7) Compulsory service on work of national importance under civilian direction as required by the Military Selective Service Act;

(8) Active military duty terminated under honorable conditions;

(9) Service with the District of Columbia Government prior to January 1, 1980. In addition, for an employee on the District Government rolls on December 31, 1979, who was converted on January 1, 1980, to the District of Columbia merit personnel system, continuous District Government service after that date also extends the 3-year period;

(10) Periods of nonemployment during which a person is eligible for injury compensation under the Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs;

(11) Periods of nonemployment during which a person receives disability retirement under the Civil Service or Federal Employees Retirement System;

(12) Employment by a nonfederal organization when the person’s function was transferred to the nonfederal organization on a contract basis or by law or executive order;

(13) Volunteer service and training required prior to actual enrollment as a volunteer with Peace Corps, VISTA, and other programs of the Corporation for National and Community Service if it begins within the period the person is eligible for reinstatement; and

(14) Periods of overseas residence during which a spouse or unmarried child, under 21 years of age, of a member of the Armed Forces or of a Federal civilian employee is accompanying that individual on official assignment to an overseas post of duty. Overseas posts of duty are duty locations outside the 50 States of the United States, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.

Vessel Documentation Renewal application

Renew Vessel Documentation

To avoid this in the future, renew your vessel documentation every year. Additionally, you can use our form to renew your vessel’s documentation for up to five years in advance.

To find the expiration date on your Certificate of Documentation, we advise you to look at the document’s lower left-hand corner.