Coastwise Endorsement Requirements and Others: Use Your Boat How You Want

Are you considering documenting your vessel but aren’t sure if it’s right for you? Some vessels can be documented while others have to be. Should you choose to document your vessel, you’re going to want to pick an endorsement that best matches how you’ll use your vessel. The coastwise endorsement, as well as its other endorsements (Fishery, Recreational, and Registry), provide vessel owners with the ability to use their vessels how they want. There are certain Fishery, Recreational, Registry, and Coastwise endorsement requirements to be aware of. 

What are Coastwise Endorsement Requirements?

Essentially, the Coastwise endorsement is required if you’re going to use your vessel to transport people and/or merchandise on the navigable waters of the United States or in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). As such, you’ll be engaging in “coastwise” commercial activities, hence the name. Of course, your vessel also has to measure at least five net tons and be wholly owned by a citizen of the United States (with some exceptions). 

Requirements for the Other Endorsements 

Coastwise is one of the most popular endorsements, but it’s far from the only endorsement that vessel owners choose at our site. Indeed, “Fishery” is for those who are going to use their vessel for commercial fishing activities on those same waters. “Registry” isn’t just for registering your vessel, but rather, for those vessels that will engage in international commerce. “Recreation” is what it sounds like you’re using your vessel for fun. Remember: all vessels can be used recreationally with any endorsement, but vessels with a “Recreation” endorsement can be only used for recreational purposes, not commercial ones. 

Change Your Endorsement How and When You’d Like 

Choosing an endorsement is a big decision, an important one, but not one that’s “set in stone,” so to speak. You can change your endorsement at any time you’d like. When you decide to use your vessel for a new purpose, you can change your endorsement at our site. All you have to do is to click on the “Change of Endorsement/Trade Indicator” form at our site. Then, pick a new endorsement and send it to us. We see it as one more way to provide greater freedom to our clients. 

Coastwise Endorsement Requirements

All the Vessel Documentation You’ll Need in Addition to Endorsements

In conclusion, the Coastwise endorsement from the US Coast Guard may very well be essential for your business, as a Fishery or Registry endorsement may be. However, to get those endorsements, first, you have to fill out your USCG documentation. To get started with getting your vessel documented, all you have to do is to go to our site. Here, you’ll find the necessary forms to document your vessel for the first time, to renew that documentation, to reinstate it (if necessary) and so much more. All of these forms can be filled out from any device at any time. Taking these steps will ensure proper documentation for your vessel as you cruise along America’s waterways!