Coast Guard Certificates You Need To Get Your Boat to Float

As a boat owner in the United States, you need Coast Guard certificates before you may set sail. The inability to enjoy the sea and sunshine by boating would be much diminished in their absence. Certificates from the Coast Guard? To what relevance are they to my boat, exactly? A boat requires registration and license, much like a vehicle. Some boats need specific Coast Guard documentation based on their size and use. Did you know that you need a particular Coast Guard certificate to operate several different kinds of boats in U.S. waters? 

The size and location of your boat are irrelevant; you may still be required to have detailed documentation to operate it lawfully. This page will provide an overview of the many certifications issued by the Coast Guard to boaters, as well as advice on how to get one. The Maritime Documentation Center is here to assist you in organizing all of your maritime-related records.

Certificates of Registry

The Maritime Documentation Center is ready to assist you if you need assistance getting your boat afloat. While many boaters enjoy their time on the water and have little difficulty getting there, once they get there, they may discover that their boat lacks the necessary documentation. Many ship owners may get assistance at the Maritime Documentation Center. 

We have specialists in every type of maritime documentation, including but not limited to: certificates of registry, which verify the vessel’s country of registration; mariner’s documentation, which verifies the owner’s right to be on the water; vessel data certification, which confirms the vessel’s construction and the goods it transports; load line certification, which confirms the vessel has adequate freeboard for safe cargo transport; and tonnage certification, which verifies the vessel’s gross tonnage. 

Helping people like you who are eager to get their yacht out of the dry dock and onto the water is something we take great pleasure in doing. After meeting with us, you must complete some paperwork and have an official witness write it.

Certificate of Examination As Coast Guard Certificates

There are many red tapes to clear before launching your boat, but it’s for the best. You’ll need to ensure that the Coast Guard has inspected your boat before you can set sail. After that, you must get a Certificate of Documentation from the Coast Guard by registering your vessel. This is a very critical stage in having your boat registered so it may go out on the water. 

We are here to assist you in any way we can, whether you have concerns about making your boat seaworthy or want more information about what the U.S. Coast Guard can do for you. We have professionals on staff who can assist you in determining what actions are necessary for you to follow and who are also able to guide you through the process of obtaining Coast Guard Certificates.

Merchant Mariner Credentials

Many of our customers come to us in a state of panic because they’ve heard the United States Coast Guard requires a mountain of paperwork, background checks, and testing before they can even apply for a license. They fear they’ll be fined or even arrested if they don’t have everything in order before starting the application process. While these worries are usually baseless (the U.S. Coast Guard doesn’t even have the power to make arrests on land!), there are a few items you’ll need to have on board before setting sail. 

A Merchant Mariner Credential is required before applying for a United States Coast Guard license. This card serves as primary identity, verification that you are a U.S. citizen and authorized to operate a vessel in U.S. waters, and as a passport to let other nations know who is running vessels in their seas.

Coast Guard Certificates

Maritime Documentation

You can’t help but feel the pull of freedom when you’re out on your boat on the big lakes, with no responsibilities other than enjoying yourself and letting the wind whip through your hair. There are a few things you need to take care of before you set sail, however, so you don’t run afoul of your landlubber responsibilities like taxes and traffic restrictions. Having the proper documents will guarantee that your boat complies with local laws and will keep you out of trouble if any problems emerge while you’re on the water. The Certificate of Documentation and other legal documentation, as registration numbers, are issued by the United States Coast Guard (USCG). Both commercial and recreational boaters need to know whether or not their vessel has a Certificate of Documentation. If your vessel is at least 26 feet in overall length and is utilized for commercial activities like fishing or delivering goods for rent, you must register it with the U.S. Coast Guard.

The Maritime Documentation Center, a division of the U.S. Coast Guard, is committed to offering you the most up-to-date information regarding all things boating-related. From boat registration to boat title to boat number requirements, we can help! Call us at 800-535-8570 today for more information!