The official vessel documentation is a type of documentation that proves the nationality of your boat. It is vital for international travel. It also clarifies ownership of your boat in the US. If you are planning to document your boat, make sure to know more about the maritime documents necessary to apply for boat documentation. 

The Essential Maritime Documents for Vessel Documentation 

The process of documenting your boat with the USCG requires a set of vital documents. Proper documentation ensures compliance with regulations and provides a clear record of ownership. 

How to Apply for Documentation? 

Before you dive into the sea of paperwork, the first thing you need to obtain is the Application for Documentation. It is known as Form CG-1258. It is the official application for boat documentation with the USCG. It captures crucial details about the vessel. Its intended use and the ownership structure. 

Bill of Sale 

It is an official document that serves as evidence of the transfer of ownership. This legal document outlines the terms and conditions of the sale. It also identifies the buyer and seller. It details the boat’s particulars. A properly executed Bill of Sale is vital for establishing a clear chain of ownership. 

Proof of Ownership 

To document your vessel, you must provide proof of ownership. It may include a Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MCO). This is necessary if you are the first owner of a new vessel. The manufacturer of your boat will issue and it can serve as proof of ownership. If your boat was titled by a state previously, a valid state title can be submitted as proof of ownership. On the other hand, if your boat was registered in a foreign country, the foreign registration can also serve as proof of ownership. 

What if Your Boat is Documented in a Foreign Country?

If your boat was documented previously in a foreign country, you may need to provide evidence of deletion from that country’s registry. It ensures a seamless transition to USCG documentation. 

Builder’s Certification 

Is it necessary? If your boat is more than five net tons, then yes, a builder’s certification is required. This document attests to the boat’s construction in compliance with applicable regulations and standards. 

Tonnage Measurement Certificate 

It provides information about the boat’s tonnage. It is crucial for determining documentation fees. It also ensures compliance with regulatory requirements. 

What if the Boat Has a Mortgage? 

If there is a mortgage on the vessel, the lender’s consent is necessary for documentation. It ensures that the USCG is aware of any existing liens or financial interests in the vessel. 

Small Vessel Waiver 

In some cases, boats measuring five net tons or less may qualify for a small vessel waiver. That is, your boat is exempted from certain documentation requirements. if it is applicable to you, then this waiver must be included in the documentation package. 

The process of documenting your boat involves gathering a comprehensive set of documents. From the first time you initiate the documentation to proof of ownership, each document plays a vital role in ensuring a smooth and legal documentation process. 

maritime documents

Adhere to the Regulatory Requirements

In addition to the maritime documents, you also need to fill out certain forms to initiate the documentation. You don’t have to go to the USCG website to obtain these forms. Just browse them on our website. If you need further help, please give us a call.