175.15 Personal flotation devices required.
Except as provided in §§ 175.17 and 175.25:
- No person may use a recreational vessel unless –
- At least one wearable PFD is on board for each person;
- Each PFD is used in accordance with any requirements on the approval label; and
- Each PFD is used in accordance with any requirements in its owner’s manual, if the approval label makes reference to such a manual.
- No person may use a recreational vessel 16 feet or more in length unless one throwable PFD is onboard in addition to the total number of wearable PFDs required in paragraph (a) of this section.
- No person may operate a recreational vessel under way with any child under 13 years old aboard unless each such child is either –
- Wearing an appropriate PFD approved by the Coast Guard; or
- Below decks or in an enclosed cabin.
[CGD 81-023, 55 FR 32034, Aug. 6, 1990, as amended by CGD 92-045, 58 FR 41608, Aug. 4, 1993; USCG-2000-8589, 67 FR 42493, June 24, 2002; USCG-2013-0263, 79 FR 56499, Sept. 22, 2014]